The Wayside
Guests please register with our forum to comment. Join our community and meet new friends. Engage in interesting discussions, and share your thoughts and opinions.
The Wayside
Guests please register with our forum to comment. Join our community and meet new friends. Engage in interesting discussions, and share your thoughts and opinions.
The Wayside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A diversified group of individuals gathered to share information, stories, pictures, and more.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog inMoles gameWord ScramblePayment button

Winter Holidays writing contest

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Sessy
Admin
Admin
Sessy

Popularity : 15

Winter Holidays writing contest Empty
PostSubject: Winter Holidays writing contest   Winter Holidays writing contest EmptySun Nov 11, 2018 2:59 am

Winter Holidays writing contest Whc10
Rules: Stories can have anything to do with winter holidays, winter activities, snow, vacations etc...

Must have a winter type theme, or a holiday type theme. Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years are all accepted.

All genres are accepted. Can be romance, comedy, paranormal, horror, etc.. anything goes as long as it's winter themed.

All submission will be accepted from now through December 25th and the winners will be announced on January 1st.
Please post all submissions in the writers contest submission thread and add 2018 winter contest in the description line (under the title). Good luck and get writing Smile
Back to top Go down
daydreamer1
Assistant Mod
Assistant Mod
daydreamer1

Popularity : 33

PostSubject: the box   Winter Holidays writing contest EmptyWed Nov 21, 2018 8:47 am

The year was 1962,Karen walked around the tree slowly, finding the most perfect placements for her childrens home made tree decorations , some paper, others cardboard, noodles, you name it she had them in all sorts of materials, the felt ones were her favorites because they had her children's pictures on them from years long ago and done away with , but for memories .
Karen's children were all grown up now and miles away moved down south to warmer weather or out west to different discoveries to conquest new challenges, like children do . The lovely 76 year old Karen was quite content to stay within her own known boundries of New England,where she herself had been born and raised . Born upstairs in her grandmothers home in the last bedroom down the long hall way . It was her home now, A large two family home in a nice neighborhood  , with lovely caring neighbors which did check in on her from time to time , she them as well, when one was under weather .
 This would be Karens last year decorating, seeing as she felt depressed now  that the children were no longer visiting for holidays , not like the use to in past years , which made her very  sad, as tears rolled down her loving cheek with noodle macaroni decorations in one hand Karen placed the last ornament upon her beautiful, traditional family tree, and wept ..Harry her husband deceased for going on five years now, due to too many hours on the job at work, accountants got too stressed and the stress made him smoke more and more , he ended up with the C word,. she could no longer stand living without him but she always managed to ., she manged to find smiles, and people in need , along with donating time to charitable events , donating time in food banks and packing parcels to go to troops over seas with her local woman's league , she a good person had a good sound heart and head .
  there was a knock on the door , Karen wiped her tears from her cheek and looked quickly in the mirror which hung upon a wall in the hallway just before the door , all in check, hair and eyes all well, she thought.." yes may i ask who is there, one can never be too safe ?"Why yes you may fine lady, im just a simple man  a sales man from down the street, and i was told you have been without an item i sell, a toaster of many wonderful features, now i know sales men are almost obsolete, door to door, but Mrs Parker told me that you may need one, and seeing as its Christmas time , well mam, im not doing so well , trying to get food for the holiday and gifts for the little ones , which i have 2 of ., anyways mam i hope that you do not mind me knocking and asking ?","Karen exhaled and murmured to herself," oh lord , come on,im busy!"
Opening the door , she saw a man to be true to his work and word, seeing as she was unsure of whom she may find behind the door once opening it , be a brutish burglar or maybe in some way hoping her son or someone surprising her ,"sigh" come in sire, yes i need a toaster , haha , glad word gets around , how much are these toasters, and are the fancy ? oh mam fancy i not the word for these toasters , the man was short and chubby , bald on top with black side hair, yet he was a sweet looking man just beaming in the eye with joy when allowed into her home. "Mam, i can not lie to you, in this box is a note from my bank, a proposal for the sale of your home , you do not have to answer now but please , it would help the young couple looking into this well kept and beautiful home, they have 4 children and are so worried about the quality of the home safety and all, and this is immaculate .im sorry i lied to get into your house, its a fine offer, he hurried and smiled, told her the phone number was in the box as well , along with a crazy high offer that would please just about anyone .the man scurried out the door and placed the box under the mirror upon a small table .
  The thing is , is though she wanted to pass away in her own home, knowing she was getting up there in age and not any younger,  she also wanted to see tropical islands , which she  had not been able to do , it was a thought, and to know that maybe the people who wanted to buy the home and there family  would bring life with  more children in the home. she opened the box, inside was a picture of the family, to her surprise it was her own son, the letter said, mom i lost my job with NASSA, we miss you and were coming home , merry Christmas, be there tomorrow , get the food ready, were hungry already for your home cooking. How great full Karen was for this little short  chunky man with a box , lovely now she would have her first in a long time Christmas , with her own family again.
                                     the end.
Back to top Go down
quietguy
quietguy

Popularity : 3

PostSubject: Re: Winter Holidays writing contest   Winter Holidays writing contest EmptyWed Dec 05, 2018 3:04 pm

loved your story Smile
Back to top Go down
daydreamer1
Assistant Mod
Assistant Mod
daydreamer1

Popularity : 33

PostSubject: Re: Winter Holidays writing contest   Winter Holidays writing contest EmptyWed Dec 05, 2018 3:05 pm

thank you
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Winter Holidays writing contest   Winter Holidays writing contest Empty

Back to top Go down

Winter Holidays writing contest
Page 1 of 1